Thursday, February 16, 2023

Heart Conversations at My First Quilt Retreat


Recently completed this heart quilt, it reminds me of candy
converation hearts....thus the name Heart Conversations
Love how it coordinates with my surviving poinsettia.


The quilt finished at about 50" square, 
which is a nice display size.


I made the quilt at home to take to a quilting retreat
as a free motion quilting demonstration piece.
Again perfect size for a quick project.


The hearts are made of 2 - 3 inch squares, one
background and a 3 inch by 5.5 inch rectangle.
You could easily use 4 squares though.
The hearts are set on point with alternating
background squares, a very easy project.
I was able to use all scraps for the hearts and
had the background yardage in my stash.
As a side note, I used the back side of this background 
fabric. The gray pin dots were a little too much
contrast for me, so the back side had the perfect
shadow effect I was going for.


Here's a sampling of the feathers and simple back and forth
along the border. I love sewing FMQ feathers!
The quilting is not perfect but that's perfectly fine with me
 it has that handcrafted look.


The backing is a vintage bed sheet.
And I used a leftover heart for the label.


I worked on 2 other quilts at the retreat.
I finished this top, accept for the border.
Hoping to quilt it soon. I followed a Missouri Star
I only made 16 blocks, the video sample is much larger.


I also started these blocks, I have 4 more to stitch. 
These blue quilts are my take on snowflakes
but spring has arrived early (at least it appears that way)
in our area so they will be ready for display next year.

With the early spring I'm anxious to start working on
summer quilts and bags but plan to finish the snowflakes first.
I really don't need any more UFO's.

The retreat I attended was fantastic!
It was a small, private retreat....I was so blessed to be invited!

Thanks for visiting my little blog.
Carolyn



 

1 comment:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on your beautiful quilt finish and your productive time at Retreat!!

Summer of Sewing, bag edition part 2

 Let's continue this "crazy bag" ride.... A friend from church requested a bag. My fabric selections are getting slim but I ca...