Thursday, August 24, 2023

Summer of Sewing - bag edition part 1

 It all started with this.....


I made this bag for myself, simple denim and
decorator weight fabric and posted pictures on social media.



One of the typical designs I use with lots of pockets.
This bag is lined with canvas something new I tried.
Some friends and family asked if I would make some bags to sell.
I have done this in the past but not recently.
With not much better to do I decided to make a few.

With one parameter, use what I had on hand.

First a cousin wanted a bag, so I made these 3 for her to select from.
Each has unique features that I often use.


I ended up keeping this one it has a flat bottom with piping.


My cousin selected this one, the colors are so vibrant and beachy!
It's hard to see but this one has an boxed bottom
with the corners coming up the sides.
This feature also appears in the denim purse above.


I gave this one to a dear friend who has bought many
purses from me over the years.
This bag features a traditional boxed bottom with 
coordinating side panels. This striped fabric is vintage bark cloth.

Another friend asked for a bright cheery bag.


I had this outdoor decorator fabric on hand.
She loved it!
It was really hard to part with this bag.


This bag featured a flat bottom with piping.

A friend's daughter asked for a diaper bag.
I haven't made a diaper bag in about 10 years
but it all came back to me.


This is for a boy mom with a newborn and a toddler
but she didn't want a typical nursery print.
I chose denim for the adjustable straps and a
zippered closure.  So thankful for my hardworking Bernina machine,
at times I was sewing through 8 layers of denim and 
4 layers of interfacing.


Of course there are plenty of pockets inside and out.
I was really pleased with this one too.
It is lined with a pre-quilted cotton fabric.

I'll continue with the other bags I made in the next post.

Told you I was a "crazy bag lady" this summer....

Carolyn



p.s. I typically don't use patterns, these are my own designs.


1 comment:

Paula said...

Wow! I love the fabrics you used on this awesome bag. I've been making my purses for several years, as I love being able to use fabrics I love and switch them out on a whim. Thanks for sharing the great inspiration. I'm off to find some floral in my stash!

Summer of Sewing, bag edition part 2

 Let's continue this "crazy bag" ride.... A friend from church requested a bag. My fabric selections are getting slim but I ca...