Thursday, August 17, 2023

Summer of Sewing - quilt edition

 

I am a fortunate Grandmother who babysits during the school year
and plays with fabric during the summer.

Here are the quilts I worked on this spring/summer.


I quilted this snowflake quilt, 
it was pieced in January.
Made from the you-tube tutorial, 
Disappearing Hour Glass Medallion.


Close up for the free motion quilting using 
my domestic Bernina sewing machine.
It's supposed to look like swirling snow.


Another snowflake quilt that was pieced in January
and quilted this spring. I drafted my own pattern 
inspired by something on Pinterest or Instagram.
Each block is a different fabric and all from my stash or scrap bin.


I used a very soft fleece type fabric for the backing.
Quilted with straight lines and a large zig-zag stitch.
This quilt was made for cuddling up when it's cold.

Most summers my husband attends a multi-day conference,
if he drives to the event I go along. I pack several pre-cut, 
ready to sew projects and 
my Singer Featherweight sewing machine. I work away 
in the hotel room while he sits in meetings.
The next quilt blocks were made during the conference
and finished at home.


Next was this star quilt made using the free pattern,
Ohio Star Quilt Pattern with 7 Fat Quarters.
However, I used 8 fat quarters and reduced the size of
the squares. Apparently my fat quarters were not large enough.
It was even good fabric, bought at a quilt shop 
on our vacation out west last year.
It worked out all the same and I LOVE it.


This close-up is from the basting stage.
Which is where it still remains, I hope to quilt it soon,
just stuck on what design to use.


The final quilt I worked on this summer is this
autumn quilt. I made 9 patches as a enders/leaders
project for the star quilt and then found some inspiration on-line
for this lay out. This quilt top is still hanging
on my design wall. It adds great color to the room
and reminds me, cooler days are coming.

Thanks for visiting my little blog!

Carolyn

p.s. Next post will be the bags I made this summer,
I was in a "crazy bag lady" mood.








No comments:

Summer of Sewing, bag edition part 2

 Let's continue this "crazy bag" ride.... A friend from church requested a bag. My fabric selections are getting slim but I ca...