Sunday, February 13, 2011

Shirts + Jean pockets = Memory Quilts



A friend from church asked me to make 2 throw-size quilts using his belated father's shirts and jeans.   These were flannel and cotton shirts, many of them used while working on the farm....I included back pockets from the jeans.




This wasn't a hard project except for the part where I cut into the clothes.  It's not physically hard, but it certainly is an emotional journey.



I also included a small blue jean patch, there was a hole in one of the shirts that I didn't notice until I was at the quilting stage.  I think it fits the "feel" of the quilt :)



I LOVE the results! 


Carolyn

8 comments:

Heidi said...

These are AWESOME! What a neat project for you to work on. I love the pictures with the snow in the background - it really works with the flannel and the denim. :)

Peacock girl said...

Are these two different quilts or the front and back of one? And if they are two, what did you use for the back? Did you embroidery the blocks together?

Unknown said...

I love the idea of using the clothing...make sit very sentimental, and and so much more meaningful. And it helps when thinking of costs also, saving going to a fabric store or where ever, to have to purchase supplies. I admire your work!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Love flannel and denim combined!! I also like the simplicity, but stricking finishes of these. :) Many good memories in these I'm sure!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like the mix of flannel and denim - and must remember the pocket next time.

Vivian said...

I love, love, love the addition of the jeans pockets! Another enquiring mind would also like to know -- did you also bind and back it with the denim (I see the blue peeking on the edge) or with something else?

Wonderful memory quilt!!

Jackie said...

What a great quilt! Love the ones that hold memories.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Fun to see this post again at Tuesday ARchives!!! Thanks for rejuinating this post for us to see again.

Summer of Sewing, bag edition part 2

 Let's continue this "crazy bag" ride.... A friend from church requested a bag. My fabric selections are getting slim but I ca...