Saturday, March 24, 2012

Disappearing Nine Patch, mini-tutorial

If you've made your way around quilting blogs, I'm sure you've seen the disappearing nine patch block. Recently I saw an alternative layout for this block (sorry I can't find it now).  So decided to write a mini-tutorial.  

For this quilt I cut 108 six inch squares, but you can use any size.  I used scraps so each of my blocks is unique.  

Step one.  Sew squares together into a nine patch block arrangement.  I used the same fabric for the center of each of my nine patch blocks.  Stitch all squares before continuing, you will have 12 large nine patch blocks.

Step 2.  Cut each nine patch block in half, horizontally and vertically.  

Step 3.  Rearrange your cut blocks and sew together in this layout (see below).  See the common center blocks appear in the 4 outside corners - brings a little consistency to the scrappy look.

Step 4.  Sew large blocks together using sashing, whatever size you choose.  The sample sashing is narrow because that's all the fabric I had, I also added small blocks at the intersections to match the corner blocks.  Finish with borders to your liking.  Here's my top, ready to quilt.  This sews together quickly and is great for using scraps.

I've completed this mini-tutorial for the H2H linky tutorial party hosted by Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  I will be donating this quilt to the Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo project at Em's Scrapbag.

Happy Stitching!


Kat said...

I love making Hidden 9 Patches but I have never tried this arrangement. Thanks for sharing this tutorial, I will definitely try this layout!

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Thanks for this tutorial. I was just hunting for a hidden 9 patch the other day...and was delighted to see this on Sarah's linky party! I like your use of sashing to divide the blocks

BunkHouseQuilts said...

By the way, I LOVE the quilt on in the quilt in the photo on your blog header!

Gina said...

What a cute block! I've never seen it before but it looks easy enough for me to master!

LOVE your header!

Cathedral Window Pillows

I decided to finish some of the UFOs (Unfinished Objects) in my sewing room.   This week it was a pair  of pillows for our living r...