Saturday, September 20, 2014

DECORATING WITH CHINA (includes tutorial)



The next decorating challenge in our new home was the dining room.
Large blank walls can be difficult on a limited budget, 
so I decided to use china plates.  Most came from thrift stores,
the entire group costs less than $5 and had already
been used for our daughter's bridal shower, so I doubled up on 
that bargain.....score!

I started by auditioning and arranging plates on our dining room table.


After finding an arrangement I liked, I covered the plates with Press'n Seal....


traced the arrangement....


and put the Press'n Seal on the wall.


I applied these peel and stick hangers to the plates.  Found them at a local big-box store.



Put nails in the wall, removed the Press'n Seal and wha-la.
I knew there would need to be more to this arrangement but couldn't get it 
right on the table.  I'm such a visual decorator that it was just easier after
the grouping was on the wall. 



Add 2 more plates and I really like it.
There's still plenty of space on the wall for expansion.
If you look closely you'll see that I also moved some of the plates.
Told you I'm a visual decorator.




***  DINING ROOM TOUR ***
(working clockwise around the room)

The china plate wall with doorway into the kitchen....


the window facing the back yard a.k.a. neighbor's house...
(Eventually we will replace the ceiling fan with a nice light, 
I just haven't found the right one in my price range
so we will live with this for now.)


the wall featuring a lavender and twig wreath....


close-up of wreath and baskets...


and the doorway to the unfinished living room.


It's not a huge room, but we can seat up to 10 around the table.
So it's great for family or small dinner parties.

Not sure which room will be next on the decorating list.
I'm waiting for inspiration :)

Thanks for visiting!
Carolyn

No comments:

Summer of Sewing, bag edition part 2

 Let's continue this "crazy bag" ride.... A friend from church requested a bag. My fabric selections are getting slim but I ca...