Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Christmas Stocking w/ pinwheel block tutorial


Elaina has a Christmas stocking.  With all the changes 
happening in our family last year, I didn't get around
to making her a stocking.  No excuses this year.
So this project was moved to the top of my to do list.

It's a common pinwheel block but I used this "new to me" method.

For each pinwheel, cut 2, 3" squares, one neutral, one festive.


Place blocks right sides together.
Stitch 1/4" seam around all 4 sides of the square.
After stitching I pressed using spray starch on both sides.


Cut the block from corner to corner.
Yes, you will be dealing with bias cut pieces,
thus the starch.


Press open with seams going to the dark side.
Cut off the little points, sometimes called dog ears.


And stitch the square together.
The perfect little 3" pinwheel every time.


I assembled with 1.25" sashing.  
And completed the stocking using this mini quilt.


Dug out the counted cross-stitch supplies for the name
and it's finished!


Proudly displayed with the other stockings.
That's another story......


The angel stockings are from the days of Battenburg lace.
When I made the original 2 angel stockings I had enough
of the pre-quilted red fabric to make 2 more stockings.
We didn't have more children, but I saved the fabric 
long enough to make stockings for our son-in-laws.
Even with packing and moving ourselves 3 times
(over 2,000 miles total), there are some things that
I just couldn't part with, quilters will understand!

Enjoy your day!
Carolyn

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Very lovely mantel display and cute pinwheel stocking!

Anonymous said...

Very cute!

Summer of Sewing, bag edition part 2

 Let's continue this "crazy bag" ride.... A friend from church requested a bag. My fabric selections are getting slim but I ca...